Secure data wiping and destruction is essential in order to maintain the security of clients’ data and to protect your brand. In relation to hard disk drives (HDD), TXO has a range of data wiping and data destruction solutions and documented procedures on offer according to client instruction.
What are the options for HDD shredding and destruction?
- For some, HDD and other storage media must be destroyed on-site. Thankfully TXO can provide on-site hard drive destruction for those that require their storage media to be destroyed at their premises. In this case, TXO arranges for a mobile shredding vehicle to attend at your premises, destruction takes place in situ and TXO generates a certificate of data destruction with a detailed asset register by part code and serial number.
- For others, it is acceptable for the HDD shredding and destruction to take place off-site. In this case, material is collected in a secure vehicle, the devices are catalogued by part code and serial number and then physically shredded to 30mm fractions.
- The HDD shredding process completely destroys the drive platters, mechanisms, and the electronic components rendering the data unrecoverable. An itemised certificate of data destruction will be issued for your further assurance.
Blancco data wiping software
For those who would prefer to securely wipe/erase hard drive devices, as opposed to destroying them, there is a commercial case to wipe HDD data rather than to destroy in order to reuse, resell or recycle the equipment. This process is often referred to as HDD secure data erasure. Where the client approves this option TXO will wipe HDD in our secure lab using the industry leading Blancco data erasure software which meets the UK government standard of INFOSEC 5 (higher).
The Blancco system can securely wipe HDD devices of data and it allows TXO to provide certificated evidence that the HDD or array has been completely wiped. Please read our article about the importance of securely erasing data with Blancco data erasure software or visit www.blancco.com for more details.
What are the advantages of HDD data wiping or destruction?
There are several compliance benefits associated with HDD data wiping or destruction including:
- Prevention of leakage of clients’ data, organisation’s classified information and monetary data.
- Assuring protection from data theft and incorrect or irresponsible destruction of your HDD.
- To keep compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) legal framework.
- Averting financial penalties due to the incorrect disposal of your or your organisation’s hard disk drives.
- Wiped hard drives are almost always reusable within your own organisation; alternatively you may wish to resell your HDD, which we will be pleased to assist with.
Data wiping and GDPR
With the General Data Protection Regulation legal framework implemented on May 25th 2018, the protection of personal data is imperative for all companies. Read our article on the importance of data erasure to ensure GDPR compliance for more information.
TXO Systems is an Approved Authorised Treatment Facility (AATF) and holds the necessary permits to operate a WEEE (waste electrical and electronic equipment) recycling facility and may also transport WEEE. For additional peace of mind TXO holds ISO 27001 certification which is an international management standard relating to information security. For further details please visit our certifications & memberships and WEEE recycling pages. Additionally, our team are available to speak to and will always do their best to answer your HDD data wiping and destruction questions as quickly as possible.
More information about data wiping and destruction
To find out more about how our secure data wiping and destruction services could benefit your organisation, please contact us or request a quote using the buttons below.