The regulations for Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE recycling regulations) affect almost all businesses in the European Union. You need to make sure that you understand your obligations and what you must do to manage and recycle WEEE responsibly.
What is WEEE?
WEEE is waste electrical and electronic equipment. WEEE can be classed as either household or non-household and covers virtually all end-of-life electrical and electronic products including TVs, DVD and video recorders, IT and telecommunications equipment, medical devices monitoring and control instruments.
What are the WEEE recycling regulations?
The WEEE recycling regulations apply to all businesses that import, manufacture or re-brand electrical and electronic equipment. They also affect businesses that sell and distribute electrical and electronic equipment (EEE). Failure to meet these legal obligations may result in prosecution and fines.
- The first WEEE Directive (Directive 2002/96/EC) entered into force in February 2003. The Directive provided for the creation of collection schemes where consumers return their WEEE free of charge. These schemes aim to increase WEEE recycling and/or re-use.
- In December 2008, the European Commission proposed to revise the Directive in order to tackle the fast increasing waste stream. The new WEEE Directive 2012/19/EU entered into force on 13 August 2012 and became effective on 14 February 2014.
- EU legislation restricting the use of hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment (RoHS Directive 2002/95/EC) entered into force in February 2003. The legislation requires heavy metals such as lead, mercury, cadmium, and hexavalent chromium and flame retardants such as polybrominated biphenyls (PBB) or polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE) to be substituted by safer alternatives.
- In December 2008, the European Commission proposed to revise the Directive. The RoHS recast Directive 2011/65/EU became effective on 3 January 2013 (more information about RoHS is available here).
(Source: European Commission)
Get help with WEEE recycling regulations compliance
TXO Systems is passionate about engaging in sustainable business and we always look for ways to refurbish, reuse and resell electrical and electronic equipment to help our customers be more environmentally friendly. We specialise in WEEE category 3: IT and telecommunications equipment. Where this equipment has no further market value, or cannot be refurbished for return to service, TXO offers a comprehensive WEEE recycling service to keep materials at the end of their life out of landfill and make precious metals available for repurpose. Built on established operations and years of experience, we are one of the largest telecommunications equipment recyclers in Europe.
Work with a WEEE compliant partner
TXO Systems is a leading used telecom network equipment de-installer, reseller and recycler. Our entire business is built around environmental compliance and this is a core part of the company philosophy and culture. We are regularly audited by our partners to ensure best practice and that all ethical criteria is adhered to, tying in with all sustainability best practices.
In recognition of our ability to ensure the responsible collection, treatment, recovery and disposal of WEEE, TXO is proud to have received the following certifications:
- The Environmental Permitting (England & Wales) Regulations 2010 – Environmental Permit no. EPR/AB3297TQ
- Notification of grant of approval as an Approved Authorised Treatment Facility (AATF) – WEE/YC0006ZT/ATF
- Hazardous Waste Registration Report – Registration number – CAF286
- Notification of grant of approval as an exporter (AE) / The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2013 – Approved Exporter number – WEE/NR0001WA/EXP
- Waste Carriers Licence – Registration number – CBDL7781
- ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management
- View all of our certifications
Whenever your telecoms network hardware breaks down, gets replaced or becomes surplus to requirements, please contact us and we will do our best to assist you.